Living rooms are the best part of any house. They’re where you spend time with friends, build memories with family members, and shamelessly eat gallons of ice cream while binge-watching Netflix’s new hit show. Since you’re spending so much time in them, you’ll want to make sure you’re putting some thought into how you decorate. It should reflect you.
It’s got to be personal and unique. You want it to be comfy and worth spending time in. And you definitely don’t want to have to re-decorate your living room every few years (cause that’s just expensive and tedious). If you want your living room to find that balance of personal, comfy, and lasting, you’ll have to make sure that you’re not too... trendy or trying too hard. (Unless that's your thing. If so, more power to you.
We’ve gathered up a few things that people commonly do to their living rooms that make us uncomfortable. These things range from less than desirable décor trends to unsettling paint colors. No matter what, we would advise anyone who will listen to stay far away from these same mistakes. If you like home décor like we do, check out the article we picked just for you at the end of this one!
Did you know...
- Jackie Kennedy is famous for redecorating and renovating the interior of the White House. Actually, on just her first day, she ordered $50,000 in changes for new rooms for the children and upgrades to the kitchen. She later hosted a tour of the White House for CBS News which was viewed by 56 million people and won her an Emmy Award.
- In February 2020, Jeff Bezos bought the most expensive property in California: a $165 million mansion. It was designed for Jack Warner (the former president of Warner Bros. entertainment company). It took a decade to construct (spanning the 1930s and 40s). It comes complete with 9 acres of Beverly Hills land, a main house, a guest house, a tennis court, a golf course, and terraces.
- Paris Hilton not only lives in a mansion, she also built a doghouse mansion for her Chihuahua. It's 300 square feet and includes air conditioning and heating. It comes decked out with designer furniture, a chandelier, a pink paint job, second-floor balcony, and enclosed "yard." It's not enough for you to live in luxury. Your dog must, as well.
- While attending the Grammys in February 2000, Jennifer Lopez stepped out in a green Versace dress that instantly became a phenomenon. The barely-there ensemble had a dramatically low cut that came below JLo’s belly button. It became such a talking point that it was Google’s most popular search query up to that point, and it spurred the company to include images into search results. It became the motivation for Google Images.
- In the summer of 2007, Joh Hamm became a household name when Mad Men premiered to critical acclaim and strong ratings. Just over a year and a half later, Ellie Kemper stole America's hearts (and Dwight's and Andy's) when she became the new receptionist on The Office. Before they were famous, Hamm was Kemper's high school drama teacher!