Decor mistakes in the kitchen are all fun and games until you're the one who's staring down a ceramic chicken every morning while you wait for your coffee. While there is no shortage of amazing kitchen styles and trends out there, there are even more that will make interior designers turn their heads. From mistakes in design themes to halfway remodels there are many things to steer clear of.
No one sets out to own the kitchen all their friends refer to as what not to do, but it can happen. Don't worry though, that's why we're here! We've collected the common mistakes we've seen in the kitchen to help innocent people steer clear of these kitchen blunders.
In this slideshow, we're taking a detailed look at all the many don'ts of decorating the kitchen. These so-called "bold" colors and dated styles are just a few of the trends sure to get guests whispering behind your back at your next dinner party. The kitchen is the heart of the home, so don't let your home's heart be an oopsie! This is what not to do.
Did you know...
- Björk created a media sensation when she wore her iconic white swan dress to the 2001 Oscars. At the time, many derided it as hideous and a publicity stunt, but it has since gone down as one of the most memorable dresses of all time—even if it isn't exactly beloved. She says David Bowie was the inspiration behind the dress.
- When Rihanna debuted her famous red locks in 2010 (around the same time she was featured on Eminem's "Love the Way You Lie"), she started a red-hair trend. Over the next twelve months, she changed her hairstyle 13 times—more than once a month! But that came at a pricey cost. Sources say the annual price tag came out to $1,168,000 on just her hair.
- In February 2020, Jeff Bezos bought the most expensive property in California: a $165 million mansion. It was designed for Jack Warner (the former president of Warner Bros. entertainment company). It took a decade to construct (spanning the 1930s and 40s). It comes complete with 9 acres of Beverly Hills land, a main house, a guest house, a tennis court, a golf course, and terraces.
- Jackie Kennedy is famous for redecorating and renovating the interior of the White House. Actually, on just her first day, she ordered $50,000 in changes for new rooms for the children and upgrades to the kitchen. She later hosted a tour of the White House for CBS News which was viewed by 56 million people and won her an Emmy Award.
- Paris Hilton not only lives in a mansion, she also built a doghouse mansion for her Chihuahua. It's 300 square feet and includes air conditioning and heating. It comes decked out with designer furniture, a chandelier, a pink paint job, second-floor balcony, and enclosed "yard." It's not enough for you to live in luxury. Your dog must, as well.